In this unit, students will:
- Geographic Understandings
SSKG1: Describe the diversity of American culture by explaining the customs and celebrations of various families and communities.
SSKG3: State the street address, city, state, and country in which the student lives.
SSKH1c, f: Identify the national holidays (Independence Day and Memorial Day) and describe people and/or events celebrated.
SSKH2c, e: Identify the following American symbols:
- c. Star Spangled Banner (national anthem)
- e. Statue of Liberty
- SSKH3a-f: Correctly use words and phrases related to chronology and time. (Note: These elements should be integrated into discussions about historical events and figures.)
- Now, long ago
- Before, after
- Today, tomorrow, yesterday
- First, last, next
- Day, week, month, year
- Past, present, future
- Civic/Government Understandings
SSKCG1b: Demonstrate an understanding of good citizenship.
- b. Explain why rules should be followed.
- SSKCG2: Describe examples of positive character traits exhibited by good citizens such as honesty, patriotism, courtesy, respect, pride, and self-control.
Map & Globe Skills
- Use a compass rose to identify cardinal directions
- Information Processing Skills
- Bullet point the entire standard; include the standard number and full description.
- Compare similarities and differences
- Organize items chronologically
- Identify issues and/or problems and alternative solutions